Client and Background
Established in 1999, Swan EMS are a dedicated electronics subcontractor specialising in wire harnessing, custom cables and PCB assemblies and integrating these in to complete system build.
The company's USP is centred around early engagement with the client at the early stages of new product development with the provision of design consultancy and supporting the client and the product through production and printing.
Swan EMS had been using Sage 50 with Sage 50 Manufacturing for several years but found the system increasingly cumbersome and inneficient as the company grew.
Situation and Requirements
The Sage 50 Manufacturing system was cumbersome to use and because the different modules were not seamlessly integrated, obtaining meaningful reports and KPI information had to be produced manually which wasted a considerable amount of time and was often not a satisfactory result. The system also demanded a high level of internal IT resource due to it's instability to minimise downtime.
The key requirements that were required from a new system included;
- a seamless transition to a robust ERP system that would support the business for a minimum of 10 years
- advanced reporting capability across all modules for quick and meaingful KPI management information
- the ability to forecast stock useage, shortages and production bottlenecks
- full end-to-end serial and batch number traceability of materials and components from goods received to delivered
- multi level Bill Of Materials structure and processing with the flexibility required for contract manufacturing
- real-time actual costing for all stages of production from design and pre-production to final assembly
- the ability to customise the system to meet any specific operational needs that may be identified
Swan EMS selected Sage 200 and Prosys Computing to deliver the robust ERP solution the business needed for improving the company's efficiency and productivity as it grew.
Solution and Outcome
Working closely with Swan EMS, Prosys Computing implemented Sage 200 and the customisation required to deliver the new system meeting the requirements identified at the outset, on time and on budget.
Swan EMS immediately realised the benefits the system provided through the seamless integration between the MRP manufacturing modues and the commercial and accounting modules. Efficiency was improved where previously manual processes had been required and the new systems also created additional opportunities to improve productivity.
Interactive dashboards and custom buit KPI reports were created and provided by Prosys Computing giving management the tools they needed to make instant critical decisions helping to improve production scheduling and delivery performance. These included stock forecasts, production stage monitoring, real-time actual production costs and bottlenecks.
The advanced multi level Bill Of Materials module enabled Swan EMS to create accurate models of the one-off products thier customers required which were often several sub-assemblies deep and complex.